Monday, August 25, 2008

school shooting

I just read the article below. I also travel in my job and wanted people to know about a product I bought from Boston Company Called MJ Safety Solutions It is a Bullet Proof Backpack which I carry my tools in and keep on the front seat of my truck. The pack stops a lot of bullets they actually have video of it being shot many times. I bought two more for my niece and nephew who are going back to school in a couple of weeks. With all the school shootings in this country it will give my sister a little piece of mind know her kids have the My Childs Pack. Next week I am going to buy one of their custom panels to put in my briefcase. Sad we need it but glad you guys in Boston make it.

Doing my part to try to keep people safe these days.

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Less than half the students at Knoxville's Central High School showed up for classes Friday, the day following a fatal shooting in the school's cafeteria.

Flags at Central High School are at half mast. Roses surround the sign that welcomed students back to school one day after a classmate was shot to death in the school's cafeteria.
For some students, there was just a slight concern coming back.

CHS student Anissa Mason says, "Maybe because of the fact that I didn't see it, because I wasn't here. Maybe that's why I'm not too scared."

Others needed to come back, despite their fear.

Mike Clifton says his son is scared to come back.

"The worst of it was this morning. Bringing him back to school, but we wanted to take advantage of the counseling, and that's why he's here."

But dropping a child off to school the day after a school shooting isn't easy for parents either.

Garry Menendez is concerned about his daughter

"There's a little bit of jitters that's going on, at the same time, you wanna make things as normal as they can be."

Cheryl Mason brought her daughter, Anissa, to school Friday.

"A little bit harder, it's a little bit harder for Anissa, and it's going to be a little bit harder for my middle-schooler, but we're going to keep on doing it. We're not going to let it stop us."

For those who felt coming back was too much to bear, others understood.

Anissa Mason says, "You got to go at your own pace. I mean, if you're not ready, you're not ready. Just come whenever you can."

The last 24 hours have given parents and their children a chance to talk, so the healing can begin for them, their school, and their community.

Menendez says, "We need to love the school, not leave it. I mean, this is a great place. There are great things going on here."

School officials say 1,296 students are enrolled at Central High School.

491 showed up Friday.

There are 87 certified staff members at the school, all of them were present.

No comments: